New York, March 26–This year, at the United Nations 53rd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW), the GEAR Campaign launched a global petition (for individuals) that calls for the creation of a new, stronger women’s entity at the UN. The petition specifically demands an ambitiously funded new entity with meaningful involvement of civil society at all levels, both in the process of creating the entity and in all aspects of its work.
“A UN women’s agency will not speak for women, but will ensure that at long last, women’s own voices can be heard, at all levels of society, and in the decisions that affect their lives…” — President of the 63rd General Assembly, Miguel d’Escoto Brockmann
– forward it to friends and colleagues;
– post in on listservs you are a member of;
– add a link to it in your email signature;
– add a link to it on your professional or personal website;
– promote it in various news groups, online forums and discussion groups…