BONN, GERMANY (June 4, 2014)-– The fortieth sessions of the Subsidiary Body for Implementation (SBI 40) and the Subsidiary Body for Scientific and Technological Advice (SBSTA 40), as well as the June session of the Ad Hoc Working Group on the Durban Platform for Enhanced Action (ADP) will be held from 4-15 June 2014 in Bonn, Germany. Two high-level ministerial events will take place on 5 and 6 June.
This meeting marks the halfway point towards COP20 where we expect to see a 1st draft of the new climate agreement. Over the next busy year-and-a-half, GGCA, along with our members and partners, is working to ensuring the new climate agreement is gender-responsive by 1) bring guided by the principle of gender equality, and 2) facilitating the effective implementation of numerous decisions on gender already in place throughout the UNFCCC. As it is unlikely new language and priorities will be considered after Lima, this meeting is an important step in securing a strong reflection of gender in the new climate agreement.
Events in Bonn
June 6, 18:30-20:00 in Metro: Planning for sustainable, gender-equitable and climate-proof development (organized by WECF)
June 7,18:30-20:00 in Metro: Raising the bar for REDD+: best practices from gender and REDD+ programs and projects (hosted by IUCN/WEDO)
June 13,16:45- 18:15 in Solar: Building blocks towards a Gender-Responsive 2015 Climate Agreement (organized by WEDO)
Key Resources for the Status of Gender in the Negotiations
- WEDO Report-Back from March 2014 ADP session
- Compilation of Text on Gender Equality in UNFCCC Decisions (up to 2012/COP18)
- Addendum of Key Text on Gender Equality from Warsaw, COP19
- Decision 23/CP.18 – Promoting gender balance and improving the participation of women in UNFCCC negotiations and in the representation of Parties in bodies established pursuant to the Convention or the Kyoto Protocol
- Warsaw Conclusions FCCC/SBI/2013/L.16 on Gender and Climate Change
- Report on the meeting on available tools for the use of indigenous and traditional knowledge and practices for adaptation, needs of local and indigenous communities and the application of gender-sensitive approaches and tools for adaptation
- Analysis – COP19 Gender Balance and Equality Submissions
- CSO Recommendations on Gender Decision
Resources linking Gender and Climate Change