Women and girls from every region of the world are creating a mass movement for climate justice.
The Women’s Global Call for Climate Justice is a global campaign organized collectively by a group of regionally diverse women’s rights and feminist organizations brought together by the urgent need for just action on climate change.
Launched on July 14th 2015, the campaign aims to encourage actions from women’s groups, feminist initiatives and allied organizations in all regions, countries, cities and communities around the world as well as coordinated actions.
WEDO has played a central role in organizing and facilitating the campaign as both a partner organization and member of the coordinating committee. With the support of thousands of individuals and organizations similar to WEDO, the campaign is mobilizing women and girls across the world. From educational workshops and film screenings to concerts and marathons in the name of climate justice, the Women’s Global Call for Climate Justice is demanding change. The campaign has also served as an organizing platform for the Women for Climate Justice contingent at a variety of mobilizations including the 2017 Women’s March on Washington, the Global Strike on International Women’s Day, and the People’s Climate March.
The campaign encompasses all of the complexities of climate change especially the interlinkages between climate change and gender with a focus on the following six themes: energy, economy, solutions, survival, power and climate justice.
We Are Calling For
As a partner of the Women’s Global Call for Climate Justice, WEDO is calling on all women, all girls and all of our allies to join us in demanding:
- System change not climate change
- Avoiding a 1.5 degree global temperature rise
- Ensuring gender equality and human rights in all climate actions
- Keeping oil and fossil fuels in the ground
- Transitioning to 100% safe and renewable energy
- Implementing energy efficiency and conservation measures everywhere, by everyone
- Dramatic and urgent reduction in production and consumption patterns by everyone, including and especially by those who have contributed the most to this problem from the developed world
- Commitment by developed countries to take the lead in the fight to address the climate crisis and to provide developing countries with the means to mitigate and adapt to climate change, in a spirit of solidarity and justice
Join the Women’s Global Call for Climate Justice alongside organizations from every region and thousands of individuals from across the world!