Rural women bear the brunt of climate change impacts. The crucial resources of food, water, and fuel – whose collection rural women are responsible for – are being threatened by changes in temperature, precipitation rates, and natural disasters. In the face of altered rural landscapes, women, already at an economic, social, and cultural disadvantage, must take on other livelihood activities to support themselves and their families.
The theme of the upcoming fifty-sixth session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women is the Empowerment of Rural Women. Taking place from February 27th to March 9th 2012 at the United Nations Headquarters, the CSW56 will focus on the role of women in poverty and hunger eradication, development, and global challenges such as climate change. Participants will examine financing for gender equality and the empowerment of women.
Some important deadlines for the CSW56 are rapidly approaching. Here are the key deadlines (two are next week!):
- Monday Nov. 21st, 2011 -Joint Written Statements – http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/csw/NGO.html#written
- December through Friday Feb. 17th, 2012 – (Online Sign Up) – Oral Statements (General Discussion & Interactive Experts Panels)
- Friday Nov. 25th, 2011 – Application for NGO, CSW, Parallel Events
- Tuesday Jan. 17th, 2012 – Pre-registration http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/csw/NGO.html#registration
- Tuesday Jan. 31st, 2012 – Application for CSW-related UN Ground Passes starts
- Feb. 17 – deadline to request Oral Statements – http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/csw/NGO.html#oral
Futhermore, pre-registration is now open online: http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/csw/NGO.html#registration (ECOSOC orgs)
Lastly, please read the attached PDF below, a joint statement submitted by WEDO, the Global Gender Climate Alliance (GGCA), the International Alliance of Women, and the International Council of Women (ICW-CIF) for the CSW56, and join us in working to empower rural women and combat the effects of climate change. NGO Written statement submission CSW 56