The Women’s Major Group for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) is proudly facilitated by the Women’s Environment and Development Organization (WEDO).
The members are actively providing inputs and recommendations to the preparatory process for the Third World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (WCDRR) and to the WCDRR itself. The outcome will be a 15-year Framework of Action, and it must fully integrate gender equality and women’s rights, and include accountability to its implementation.
This page links to summaries of WMG activities over the entire period through the WCDRR. Also, listed below are the interventions and statements produced collaboratively by the members of the Women’s Major Group, which is facilitated by the Women’s Environment and Development Organization (WEDO).
Updates from the WMG!
1st Preparatory Conference (PrepCom1), 17-18 July 2014:
Informal Consultations, September: Calling for women’s rights to underpin resilience efforts in DRR (disaster risk reduction)
2nd Preparatory Conference (PrepCom2), 17-18 November 2014:
World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (WCDRR), 14-18 March 2015, Sendai, Japan:
Statements & Interventions
1st Preparatory Conference (PrepCom1), July 17-18
- Plenary Statement (written, delivered)
- Dialogue #1 – Share progress, good practices, innovations and lessons learned in
implementing HFA that have worked and could be worth replicating and scaling up in
the context of a post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction
- Dialogue #2 – Reflect on the “Proposed Elements for Consideration in the Post-
2015 Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction” and building coherence and mutual
reinforcement between DRR, SDGs and CC agreements.
- Technical Indicators Workshop
Informal Consultation with Major Groups #1, September 9
Informal Consultation with Major Groups #2, September 18
Discussion between Major Groups and Member States, September 19
Informal Consultation with Major Groups #3, October 2 – Section D, Priorities for Action, continued
Informal Consultation with Major Groups #4, October 9
- Section D, Priorities for Action, continued, Intervention_Informal4_Final_WMG_SectionD_9Oct2014
- Section E, International partnership in the implementation and follow-up process; Section F Transition phase; Other issues, Intervention_Informal4_Final_WMG_SectionE-F_9Oct2014
2nd Preparatory Conference (PrepCom2), 17-18 November 2014
- WMG Comments on the Zero Draft
- Spoken and written intervention at the plenary by Grace Mbugua,
- Intervention at the Indicators workshop
- Intervention at co-chairs’ dialogue B, on links to climate change and SDGs
3rd Preparatory Conference (PrepCom3), 13 March 2015
World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (WCDRR), 14-18 March 2015, Sendai, Japan